Saturday, June 27, 2009

34 and counting

Yes, sir. I entered active duty in the U.S. Army 34 years ago today: June 27, 1975. I’ll never forget that day. I had graduated high school the Saturday before (6/21), and the following Friday (6/27) I was on my way.

The recruiter came to our house quite early to pick me up. There were some tears saying goodbye to Mom, and then a slow ride down Ryder Road, past the farm, where Aunt Ann was sitting in the picture window waving to me. (I have noted many times that it was very unusual for Aunt Ann to be up that early in the morning, but she knew what an important day it was in my life, and she was “there” for me.) In my mind’s eye I can see Aunt Ann in that window to this day. Thinking about it makes me miss Aunt Ann ferociously and makes me a tad homesick, even this far removed.

And today marks 34 years of continuous service to our great nation, because I became a dedicated civil servant one week before I officially retired from active duty. That means next year at this time I’ll be talking about my 35-year anniversary, and there’s a lapel pin for that milestone!

But I guess it’s not about lapel pins or recognition … it’s about more basic things: reminiscing; remembering - the beginning (certainly a rite of passage), the anniversary, and oh-so-much in between - and looking forward to continuing the tradition for a while longer. The story is still being written and, Lord willing, I’ll continue to soldier on for at least a few more years.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations and thanks for your service to our great nation. Where would we be without men and women who are willing to give their lives as you have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of you honey, next year we will have a private celebration at home!

    ReplyDelete